Here is a super easy science craft for kids. These rocket launches are actually amazing! And, all you will need to make one is two paper cups, two elastic bands and a pair of scissors. Then if you like, you can add some extra construction paper decorations to turn one of the cups into a rocket, but this is not essential. The launch will work with plain, undecorated cups too.
This craft is perfect for kids of all ages. Preschoolers will be amazed playing around with these, while older children can use them to help explain important physics principles such as force, mass and acceleration.
This is what you will need:
2 paper cups
2 elastic bands
If you would like to make a rocket, you will also need:
Colored construction paper
(You can see that I also put some aluminum foil in the picture. We didn’t use this in the end – it was really hard to wrap around the cup securely. By all means use it if you would like though!)
This is what you will need to do:
- Make 4 snips in the cup. Then, snip each elastic band once to form a long piece of elastic.
2. Attach the two elastic bands to the cup. The trick here is to not pull the elastics too tight. You want to retain the original shape of the cup, or as close to it as possible.
3. Tie each end of the elastic band to secure. Trim any excess elastic.
4. You can now launch your paper cup! To do this, place your unaltered cup upside down on a flat surface. Then gently press the elastic bands on your second cup down on top. Let go and watch the cup fly.
5. If you would like to turn you cup into a rocket, tape some strips of colored tissue paper to the inside of the cup.
6. Then cut some pieces of colored construction paper to decorate the body of the rocket. I added two windows and some fins. But you can decorate your rocket any way that you like. You might like to add your name or even a nose cone! Just be careful not to make it too heavy. Heavy cups won’t launch very high!
7. Once you have decorated your rocket. Press it onto the launch cup, let it go and watch it fly!
I hope you have making your own rocket launcher. Jacinta Xx